Tuesday, November 22, 2016

In the beginning...

I will, over the next couple days, post the befores. Then the afters as they happen over the next couple months.

I LOVE old homes. Always have. My grandfather was a carpenter and mason, and instilled the value of proper craftsmanship. Although my grandparents lived in a "new build"-which he built (he was a GC and owned his own business for quite a while). I used to watch This Old House, back in the day when it seemed that they actually restored old homes, as a kid and teen. Circumstances being what they were, I've never had an opportunity to own a "grand" older home. Our first house, The Old House was a 1920's vernacular (picture every kid's house-rectangle with a square on top, a 1 3/4 story) that had been updated in the 70's. We have since sold it-we renoed it and rented it then sold it to the tenants. Our current house, known as The Cottage, is just that-a 1950's summer cottage turned home. The Cottage has it's own (rather un-updated) blog here: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Recently I had a mid life crisis of sorts and decided it was high time to start doing something I dreamed of before I ever saw "flipping shows" or heard the term. I cashed out a retirement account and went in search of a flip. I was open to whatever good candidate I found-cape, ranch, older home. The stars aligned and I have an accepted offer (closing is scheduled for tomorrow as I type this) on a (mostly) brick 1920's Craftsman Bungalow.

Don't worry, although much to the chagrin of many old home lovers, the only major "updates" to "modern" will be vinyl windows (yes, I KNOW, lol, but they will be done), replacing the sinks in the bathrooms with pedestals with single faucets, and covering the flooring with laminate (which will be done in a way that does NOT effect the original floors in any way). The old sashes and sinks will be saved and resold. I am not your typical flipper. Everything I do has been thought about, hashed, rehashed, and pondered over to be sure it is in keeping with the era and style of the house. I will make some compromises to the way a modern family expects to live, but there will be no open concept, no glass tile, the built ins and clawfoot tub are staying. So there it is. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment